Factors like genetics, age, certain medical conditions, a nutritional deficiency, an eye infection or hormonal changes in the body often contribute to thin eyelashes.
Here are 5 natural ways to make your eyelashes thicker and longer. It is easy, safe and inexpensive.
1. Castor Oil
- Use a clean brush or a cotton swab to apply castor oil on your lashes before going to bed. Add a few drops of vitamin E oil for better results. Leave it overnight.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons each of castor oil and fresh aloe vera gel. Apply it on your eyelashes. Leave it on overnight, rinse it off the next morning.
2. Olive Oil
It is rich in vitamin E and oleic acid that nourish and add volume to your eyelashes. It also helps keep the lashes dark.
Dip a clean, old mascara stick or simply a cotton swab in warm olive oil.
Before going to bed, apply it on your lashes, just as you would apply mascara.
Leave it on overnight.
3. Eyelid Massage
It improves blood flow to the hair follicles, which means more nutrients reach the follicles. This stimulates hair growth and prevents thinning and breakage of your lashes.
Put a few drops of oil, petroleum jelly or shea butter on your eyelids. Using your fingertips, massage along your lids and lash line in small, circular motions. Massage for 10 minutes daily.
Note: Before massaging your eyelids, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly.
4. Aloe Vera
Mix together 1 tablespoon each of aloe vera gel and jojoba oil along with 1 teaspoon of chamomile infusion. Apply this mixture on your lashes daily using a clean, old mascara wand. Wait 30 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
5. Proper Balanced Diet
- Protein and vitamins A, B, C and E as well as iron, zinc, copper, magnesium and selenium are important for hair growth.
- Include plenty of fruits, green vegetables and whole grains.
- Also, eat alfalfa sprouts as they are high in protein as well as vitamins and minerals.
- Use extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil for your cooking as these oils contain healthy fats.
- Drink plenty of water daily.
- Never go to sleep with eye makeup on. This can dry your lashes, making them brittle. Remove all your eye makeup with a makeup remover to give your lashes a chance to breathe and grow.
- Be gentle with your lashes. Avoid pulling on your lashes when removing or applying makeup.
- Be sure your eye makeup products like mascara, eyeliner and so on are of the best quality.
- Avoid using fake eyelashes. When used regularly, it can damage your natural lashes.
- Stop using eyelash curlers.
- Do not rub your eyes roughly.